A wedding licence shows the individual doing your wedding (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be married in Alberta.
Alberta wedding licences can be obtained from a registry agent workplace.
A registry representative dilemmas a 2-part document. The part that is top a Registration of Marriage and also the bottom level may be the wedding licence.
The complete document (enrollment of Marriage/Marriage Licence) needs to be directed at the wedding officiant which is doing your wedding. This will be a appropriate document and must certanly be kept in good shape and never folded since it is forever archived.
Conditions for a wedding
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t appropriate rather than a wedding licence.
There are not any citizenship or residency demands.
There isn’t any time frame that has to pass between your date a couple comes in Alberta additionally the date a married relationship licence is released.
Bloodstream tests are not essential.
A married relationship licence is valid for a few months through the date its released.
A marriage might take put the exact same time a wedding licence is given. There’s absolutely no waiting time.
An Alberta wedding licence is just legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The wedding has to take destination in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever obtaining the wedding licence, you have to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk with a registry representative for details
- Swear/affirm one or more affidavits
- It really is an offense to swear/affirm an affidavit that is false
- Offer your information that is personal the entire names and delivery places of one’s moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a wedding licence, you can not:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either individual getting married is hearing, message or aesthetically weakened
- Either person getting hitched can be an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship order
You both should be 18 years old or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Seek the advice of a registry agent for full details.
If you’re more youthful than 16 years of age, you can’t marry in Alberta.
If one regarding the couple don’t have appropriate ID, that person may possibly provide their birth certification or immigration document – each other must have appropriate ID
You can’t be currently married (either to one another or another person).
Your marital that is legal status be among the after:
- Proof breakup will become necessary; the divorce proceedings document supplied ought to be the document that is finalas an example, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A breakup document that says a married relationship is dissolved in X period of time just isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to learn in the event that documents that are final filed or perhaps the divorce proceedings had been contested through that time.
- Breakup documents which are not in English must certanly be translated; talk to a registry representative for interpretation demands.
- A death certification associated with the dead partner is not necessary.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are essential.
Annulled wedding (through the court)
Whenever an annulment is issued through a court, the individual’s marital status reverts back again to exactly exactly exactly what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took destination. The prior status that is marital need to be proven. As an example:
- Once the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of breakup should be supplied as well as a content associated with the court ordered annulment
- If the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document is necessary
Whenever a wedding ended up being annulled, a duplicate of this court ordered annulment should be provided. Spiritual and annulments that are tribunal maybe perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents that aren’t in English needs to be translated. Seek advice from a registry representative for interpretation needs.
Whenever getting a wedding licence, each associated with people who can be engaged and getting married must be proficient in English (since appropriate papers are now being signed), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter becomes necessary, it’s your responsibility to deliver one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 yrs old or older
- Fluent both in English as well as the language translation that is requiring
If the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient into the other language, then that registry representative worker may function as the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few trying to get a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every other.
There is certainly a $40 federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge solution cost. Provider charges differ among registry agents.
Just how to use
Step one. Ensure you meet the criteria to utilize for a wedding licence
The wedding needs to be happening in Alberta over the following three months.
Before using, make sure you as well as your intended spouse are eligible.
Action 2. Gather your articles
Bring your ID that is acceptable with to obtain the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for instance breakup papers. Contact a registry representative, they are able to verify just what papers you will require.
Step 3. Visit a registry representative workplace
Head to a registry representative together with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a marriage licence.
When you use
A married relationship licence is issued as you wait.
If you don’t have most of the information and papers required, the method is likely to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence towards the ceremony and provide eastern europe mail order brides it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document really closely for mistakes whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have mistakes corrected straight away.
Prior to the ceremony happens, mistakes could be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony occurs, mistakes should be corrected by the amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that has been supplied as soon as the marriage licence had been given.
Connect to Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the telephone number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll TTY that is free 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5